Sunday, February 5, 2012

Rivers to Cross



Many Rivers to Cross- Harry Nilsson..a great singer who won a Grammy for the song Everybody's talking from Midnight Cowboy.


Week One commences tomorrow and I  have been reading and re reading the details for week one. It is light and hopefully will kick start the commitment and routine of the past.




I enjoyed Chuckie V last posting on nutrition a re post. I know what needs to be done but the commitment to a strict diet is a little further down the path I am taking presently.Chuckie is always right . I read his earlier piece on commitment. It is all so true and a further piece he did titled Potential Pretense

Like a dark cloud, potential hangs over the heads of countless numbers of talented athletes. Plenty of people are filled with potential. We all have potential. We are potentially capable of anything. I'm a firm believer that anyone can go sub 9:30 in an Ironman, if they only spent the time to prepare themselves accordingly. But few do. I also believe anyone (possessing enough digits) can learn to play the piano. It might not sound all that good, but I'm sure we could all play the thing if we took the time to learn.


But here's the thing. We don't.

There is the fable about the chicken and the pig:
A Pig and a Chicken are walking down the road. The Chicken says, "Hey Pig, I was thinking we should open a restaurant!". Pig replies, "Hm, maybe, what would we call it?". The Chicken responds, "How about 'ham-n-eggs'?".


The Pig thinks for a moment and says, "No thanks. I'd be committed, but you'd only be involved!"[1](WIKIPEDIA)
The two characteristics run hand in hand. Making a commitment is the first stage but we all have caveats and "get out of jail"cards which I wrote about a few days ago under the heading the fifth discipline.It is our excuse to not be committed when the going gets hard. I wax and wane with my capability primarily because of my mental capacity and commitment .I learnt that from my training last year for IMWA 2011 compared to my preparation for Lanzarote which was more committed  . The results will follow with the commitment , the knowledge and the hard work.

As Chuckie adds , we all have the potential to do a 9.30 IM time. Most don't realise that result simply for the lack of the factors above.

It is harder for an age grouper working and with a young family but its hard for everyone. Lots of people still don't understand why do it.I can't answer it other than an inner drive to want to achieve a goal. How hungry I am now at this point is what I am going to find out in the next few months.

Iam several kilograms heavier and pretty unfit. So I have a few months to turn it around but I am coming back with a few years of solid training and commitment.I 've paid the money and I have to Commit.

No comments:

Post a Comment