Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday 2011

A short working week with a long Good Friday and  Easter Break . I needed that.

My Good Friday holidays have changed in 4 short years to lounging and TV to fitting my swimming and running round the day. I have been catching up on a bit of reading as well and currently reading Great Australian Eulogies .Next to Biographies , it is fascinating to glimpse the life of anyone in the eyes of another.

Particularly pertinent this week as I ponder the death of someone I know and a friend who is facing surgery and the possibility of cancer. How do we face these challenges ? What will be our reaction.?

A Eulogy From Wikipedia, is :

"A eulogy (from εὐλογία, eulogia, Classical Greek for "good words") is a speech or writing in praise of a person or thing, especially one recently deceased or retired.[1][2][3] Eulogies may be given as part of funeral services.
Eulogies are usually delivered by a family member or a close family friend in the case of a deceased person. "
Whilst praise is the norm in Eulogies , the Australian identity and cultural nuance is one of both honesty , candour , humour and and irreverance and informality. The eulogies are  of well known and the little known , the elderly and the very young.It is always sad but inspring to read how an individual can make a difference to those around them. Even a child can have an impact sad as it is.

One such Eulogy ended with a poem from Adam Lindsay Gordon ' Ye Wearie Wayfarer' :


Life is mostly Bubble and froth
Two things stand like stone
Kindness in another's trouble
Courage in your own.
I did not have any long runs this week. I had my usual swim on Monday and did a  2.4km with a main set of 700m , 600m, and 500m. I managed to keep up with all the swimmers so that was an improvement. I did a 1.15 run but really easy running 12 km at about 6min pace before the swim .

Tuesday was a hard session . 2 hours with 1.5 hours at pace. I rode with Ross and just hung in there for the last 2 of 5 laps .It was the fastest I have ridden on a Tuesday morning and atleast i kept up with Ross but just barely At the en of the ride I had an average of 35.5kph and that included my ride to Nedlands . I was dead tired and having a coughing fir at the end of the ride.



In the evening it was off to Brad's run training at Perry Lakes . Another hard session of 21minutes at " Ï" pace  or 4.26 mins/km . I managed a 4.21 and even less for the shorter periods. I also ran for 1.15 with a warm up and cooldown .Total distance was 13km. I now weigh under 69kgs but that fluctuates by 700 to 800 gms. But I have now managed to lose over 3kgs and will be heading to my lowest weight in 30 years.

There was no swimming for me on Wednesday so I had a rest day .With meetings and work I just could not fit it all in. On Thursday I had my usual ride and I was feeling a little sluggish .Did 2 hours of riding with threshold efforts . The weather was definitely changing and a little cooler.



I rode home in the evening and took it easy. The legs were feeling tired.

Good Friday was spent at Cottesloe. I did get up late and slept through the alarm. I got there just as everyone else was changing and so I started off a few minutes behind .There was lots of swimmers and groups in the water especially on the way back.




We spent the morning at Tony's place having hot cross buns and coffee. I have also found several video clips on doing turns and it will be one of the skills i will need to develope to improve my swimming.






HAPPY EASTER

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your long weekend John! I have long stopped doing flip turns, which was second nature during my competitive swimming days, since I've started doing triathlons. Doesn't feel that natural anymore hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy easter kevin i think flip turns will just make me less lazy at the end of a lap ...hanging on for a short break

    ReplyDelete