Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Holiday Postcard





The Kecak Dance at Uluwatu on the Island of Bali , January 2010



At Ibah hotel in Ubud with Jonathan


It has been a while since I posted . Unfortunately not being internet savvy did not help but it has been an enjoyable holiday away from training.I have done absolutely nothing other than walk alot .

Having said that it was great to just relax and do nothing physical. The holiday in Singapore and Bali was refreshing and puts alot about how we live our lives in perspective.Whilst on holiday I did set out my training objectives for 2010 and the races which I will be competing all of which I will put up shortly more as a record of where I end up this year and one of my resolutions is to be more systematic in my recording of my training .One factor that I believe has reduced the effectiveness of my training.

I have the opportunity to reflect on 2009 particularly in respects to my races and whilst it is so trite it is the journey rather than the end that becomes the valuable lesson.

I have to admit I have become increasingly frustrated at the results from the past year but and it is a big but , 3 years ago I would not have dreamed of ever doing a triathlon let alone an Ironman .I now do not feel that anything is impossible for anyone who is prepared to put in the time and effort to conquer any challenge .

It is all about breaking down the task and preparation.Having moved on , the issue now is realising my potential. I have had the pleasure of meeting many individuals who are my source of inspiration and generally I feel I hang around a great bunch of people .It is a very myopic view as in all societies there will be the "partypoopers" as my son describes them. I just see the nicer side of triathlons.At dinner last night I met two such such inspiring individuals . But despite their experience , the one lesson learnt is that there is no one cookie cutter plan or strategy for success , it is the journey of trial and error but it helps to persevere.

So the year starts with a plan and trying bits of everything . The first major race would be the Busselton Half in May 2010 .It sold out in 3 weeks a first for the Triathlon community in WA and really just reflects how fast this sport is growing.

I have enjoyed the journey of self discovery so far and clearly endurance races have hit a nerve with many .It is amazing even in the club to see those who are just buzzing after their first IM race. It again sounds so cliche but it has become more a lifestyle / religious experience .

But putting everything in perspective , the time away from the sport has been cathartic and life does not revolve around one activity.It is getting that balance that is part of the journey . I continue to strive to want to improve and doing it efficiently in a life of hectic schedules and work , family and other commitments is the Holy Grail for me.Beating a couple of guys I know is just the icing on the cake .

But there is a whole different dimension to our sport . It is selfish and absorbing but many use it for good . Enrico Varella is doing Ironman New Zealand and raising money for Cystic Fibrosis in New Zealand .If you wish to help go to his website:

http://lead2tri.blogspot.com/2010/01/leadership-by-charity.html .

or directly at his fundraising webpage:

http://www.fundraiseonline.co.nz/EnricoVarella/


A small but important step. I plan to do the same in future. There are many in the sport who are putting in the effort to help others less fortunate. The journey begins with the first step ... let the journey begin today.

1 comment: