Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Ironman Austria 2009....the journey

1 July 2009

I have arrived at klagenfurt for ironman Austria 2009.
It took 3 days of travelling to get to klagenfurt but I made it.
It was wet and cold when I left Perth on 27 June and then I spent
a night in Singapore before catching the flight to munich via
Bangkok .I then had to get to the main Muncih train Station
from the airport lugging my bike box onto a train to central munich
station .i managed to find a storage locker for my bags and for the
bike case ...cost 10 euros .
The morning was spent walking around Munich and then I managed to find the lounge for the first class passengers travelling on German rail.I had got a ticket for 30 euros to klagenfurt travelling First Class.the lounge was great with free drinks and coffee and even ice cream.

There was a rush of passengers catching the train that was coming from Frankfurt and
going thru Salzburg but managed to get all my luggage on and it was no easy feat with a bike box and two bags.

Settled in to the 5 hour ride but the scenery was fantastic.I had lunch in the buffet wagon and just relaxed enjoying the view but some of the tops were still covered in snow.

the weather was overcast and wet by the time I arrived into Klagenfurt.

There to meet me was Christian from Endurance Tri travel .I was one of the few to arrive from a 100 strong group mainly Americans spread over 3 hotels in Kumpendorf a small town 7 km from klagenfurt on the lake .

Christian a 2 time IM Austria participant and a sub 3 hr marathon runner gave me a short rundown of the area and took me grocery shopping and showed me all the local restaurants .I got into the hotel by 7 pm on day 3 of my journey .

The hotel Karnten was a small family owned hotel run by 2 brothers who own the adjoining hotel and the area is dotted with hotels.

It is a 5 min walk to the LAKES EDGE:

MORNING OF 30 June .i set up my bike which wa still in one piece thankfully and went for a ride remembering to keep right on the road.I maanegd to ride round Lake Worthseein 1hr 30 mins and it was breathtaking with mountains surrounding the lake and beautiful castles dotting the area. the weather was great .
I went for my first swim and the water was actually not too cold and pretty clear .
You can't see the bottom but atleast 10 feet .

I spent the rest of the day in Klagenfurt enjoying the cafe sidewalk life in ther piazzas .

Wednesday 1 July
I go for a 40 min swim alone in the lake and it was beautiful, quite and very enjoyable.I looked strange walking down the road in my wetsuit but I think the locals are used to seeing these atheletes do strange things.

Met more Americans from California and our bike mechanic is a triathelete living in NYC but is from Chester , PA where Coach Troy spent some time as a young triathelete with ken Glah.

Got my bike checked out.Greg had done IM Brazil earlier this year but broke his leg on the bike course and is just recoveing from the break.

Will be going on a drive thru the bike course today .All is well and looking forward to racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment