Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving graphicsfairy



The week has flown with a much lighter workload . I skipped Monday more so as I just felt tired. On Tuesday , I did the morning ride with a 1 hour session and managed to stay with the group .I had to catch up to them first as Ross told me after the group  I was suppose to be riding with had left the car park. I managed to take my turn at the front more often and felt very strong on the ride as it was only an hour session. The average pace for the ride was just under 35kph.

In the evening , we had Brad's session and it was a good lighter session with 8 x 400m at " Ï" pace which was 1.44 minutes per 400m. I ran about 8.5km and it was a good session. the wheezing wasn't as bad today. I ran into Kate Bevalaqua and had a short chat with her. Sadly a day later , the news of the fires in Margaret River were all over Perth and unfortunately Kate's parents who have a house down south was affected and did not escape the fire. All in 37 homes were damaged or destroyed. Fortunately no one was seriously injured. The weather has been hot .My thoughts have been with those affected especially Kate's family whom I met at Lanzarote when she was racing earlier this year.

On Wednesday , I did a run in the afternoon before my Board meeting at EDAC it was a short 55min run and whilst it was hot ,it wasn't so much the heat but just feeling sluggish . I might have been a little dehydrated as the office air conditioning has not been working well.I did my swim in the morning and felt strong .Swam 2.6km.

On Thursday , I had a shorter slow ride . Riding to work and Kings park and then riding home.I rode about 45km and it was again just hot and slow.

Friday , I was meant to swim and run but by the arvo I felt sick with a headache and opted out of any training.

So it has been quite an easy week . Not a lot I believe can be achieved now anyway so I have taken a more cautious approach rather than pushing myself .

Whilst , there is no tradition in Australia to celebrate Thanksgiving , I think it is appropriate to be stop and be thankful for what we have. This week , I am thankful for the opportunity to train. There were some close moments with trucks that don't seem to notice you on the road  . I am thankful for my family and friends. I am thankful that the fires in Margaret River are now under control and no one lost their lives.

I have read a few more articles and interviews Chrissie Wellington has given .I have linked a few as they are very much inspiring and so true.

Here is her answer to 2 questions in an interview on Triathlete's World  :


I've read that you take a copy of the poem If by Rudyard Kipling with you when you race, is that still true?


I write it on all my water bottles. I take the copy that Brett [Brett Sutton, Chrissie's former coach] gave me, the dog-eared photocopy and I take it everywhere.


Why does that poem mean so much to you?


I think it encapsulates everything it takes to be a good person and a good athlete. Often my biggest disasters have been bigger stepping-stones to future triumph and that's what Kipling means by seeing triumph and disaster as one and the same. I like the line, "If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew, To serve your turn long after they are gone." To me that means using your mind to overcome any bodily discomfort you may be experiencing and to retain self-belief and confidence. That's what I try to do whenever I race.





Lava Magazine did a piece on Jordan Rapp and Chrissie overcoming disappointment and using them as stepping stones but more importantly how important the mind is .Lava Magazine - Mind Games .Another interview of Chrissie Wellington : A piece on Wellinton by Kathryn Bertine

No comments:

Post a Comment