Sunday, January 16, 2011

The End

It was the end of the break , my trip to Singapore , the end of  2010 and I finished my holiday read ...Shataram by Gregory  David Roberts.

In the end it was a very enjoyable thought provoking book.I think the tale weaved by the writer was enjoyable if at times far fetched , a rose tinted view of life in Mumbai in the slums and the under belly of the vast city but all story tellers and writers are describing a perspective ... theirs. But I enjoyed the book tremendously and recommend it for the enjoyable thought provoking book it is.

I will wait for his next book and the movie .

The opening paragraph :

 "It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured. I realized, somehow, through the screaming in my mind, that even in that shackled, bloody helplessness, I was still free"

is not only a great opening paragraph but I thought was equally adaptable .

"It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about Triathlons and Ironman , but the heart of it came in an instant , while I was racing in the heat and wind that swirled round me suffocating my thoughts . I realised , somehow , through the screaming in my mind , that even  in the pain of my racing , I was still free to ...

My long ride on Saturday  was my first long ride after Busselton .It was suppose to be a 120km ride down the freeway but  I did head for kalamunda.I started off with Tarnia and SJ who were riding 160km and I followed them to the turn off to Roe Highway.I then had to do 60km at threshold and decided to push harder.I left them behind as they were doing a much longer ride .It wasn't too hard as I had a good tailwind.But as I got to Welshpool Road it did get harder.

By the time I got to the base of the hill it was heart pounding hard for me. I was doing a 12kph pace Half way up the hill and two cyclist came bounding pass me and then they slowed right down before accelerating up .I got to the end of Welshpool Road and then turned towards Kalamunda and rode along Canning Road before turning around at Lesmurdie Road and heading back to the Freeway .  I managed to clock 70kph coming down the hill . I rode down the freeway and then back to the Narrows. My quads were gone and after 75-80km I was struggling because of my quads. Even my arms were sore. I was also getting twinges of cramps on my right leg and it was cramping towards the end.





After Canning Hwy bridge I met up with Kevin Seah and we had good chat back to the Narrows. Kevin is training for the Singapore 70.3 .

I ran off the bike for15 minutes and I was done. I was dead tired  . The only thought passing my mind was the screaming pain and tiredness all through my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment