Friday, July 5, 2013

Sick As a Dog




Last week was a slow build to returning to a more fuller training week but no real programe yet just a build.
All was well and I had done 3 short runs  of 17km and my cross fit session on Tuesday and Saturday . I missed Thursday with heavy traffic in the city .

On Wednesday I did a night bike ride with Tim .It was 2 hrs of mainly climbing and then a fast descent in the dark .No one about and just our bike lights to lead the way. Tim being familiar with the route was at least 500meters ahead and so at times the night would just swallow me up and I could be miles from anywhere .

It was a good ride with dinner at Alfred's Kitchen in Guildford .On Friday again I  rode to work then to the office Lunch for the EOFY and then home a good 2 plus hr ride . On Saturday it was just the cross fit session which wasn't too bad as I had the King of the Mountain Run on Sunday 30 June.

Unfortunately by Saturday night I was feeling tired and feverish. I went to bed with layers of clothes and for the next week had all the worst symptoms of flu. I couldn't keep anything in and just could not eat . Then by Thursday it was a hacking smokers cough and runny nose and by Friday my voice was gone.The whole week was just one of getting sick and then recovering.

Another twist in training. But common sense prevailed , there was little point in battling through the symptoms and training especially with the really cold weather in Perth. It was a week of just being sick.

Molly enjoying the rush of Blood to her head


If there is a silver lining , I am feeling better and I have dropped a bit of weight rapidly, my dog Molly ever loyal was by my side and even lying by the bath room waiting patiently .It makes the term "Sick as a dog " illogical. Their unwavering happy attitude make them the comforters and friends of the animal kingdom .

Here is one meaning for the often quoted phrase from Yahoo Answers:
There are several expressions of the form sick as a ..., that date from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Sick as a dog is actually the oldest of them, recorded from 1705; it is probably no more than an attempt to give force to a strongly worded statement of physical unhappiness. It was attached to a dog, I would guess, because dogs often seem to have been linked to things considered unpleasant or undesirable; down the years they have had an incredibly bad press, linguistically speaking (think of dog tired, dog in the manger, dog’s breakfast, go to the dogs, dog Latin — big dictionaries have long entries about all the ways that dog has been used in a negative sense).

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-sic1…





2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get well soon, mate. May you bounce back higher and stronger. Greetings from Surfer's Paradise, Gold Coast before my day of suffering. Pat the dog for me, Cookie.

      Delete