Saturday, December 1, 2012

The dark Art of Tapering

If triathlon wasn't confusing enough at least the science of getting the training at optimum balance for that minute improvement , the dark art of tapering is a whole new level of confusion.

I have never quite understood why and when but I have been just thankful for the drop in volume . I have been letharrgic and tired at the beginning and then by the week before the race , began to feel more lively and fresher. having said that , there are lots of great articles on tapering.

It is a necessity to freshen us up for the Big Day but as Chuckie V points out so eloquently , there must be something to taper. That is , have I put in the hard yards to justify the taper. I am not so sure but if anything i aim to enjoy this race and not sweat the fine detail of times and goals.


My personal view (which is often obscured by a murky memory and visions of grandeur, though we'll overlook that for now) on tapering is this:

1) It is more art than it is science and…
2) You better be sure you first have something to taper from.
Chuckie V on Tapering

"The primary aim of the taper should be to minimize accumulated fatigue, rather than to attain additional physiological adaptations or fitness gains." In other words, it's time to chill. 
Its Taper Time Runners World

 If I haven't already been chilling for the whole training program for Ironman Busselton 2012 , I certainly will be for the taper.

No comments:

Post a Comment