Monday, February 4, 2019

Week 1 & 2 UTA Australia



After the months break following Ironman Busselton , it was back to the next challenge .The Ultra Trail Australia 2019 100km run in the Blue Mountains ,NSW on 18 May 2019.

It has been 2 years since I ran the course with a DNF so this is unfinished business despite completing it twice before within the cut off of 20 hours for a buckle.It will be nice to get a PB this year but the course and the 4500m of elevation makes that a daunting proposition .

This year I started training whilst on holiday on 7 January in Tokyo doing stairs in central Tokyo for an hour. I did a warm up for 15 minutes than for an hour I ran 4 flights of stairs near Royal Park Hotel in the Shimbashi station .I estimated it was about 20m of elevation and managed 20 laps for 400m .In the week before I had started running and did 2 long runs and several short runs for 45 km of flat running .The cold weather helped.

Unfortunately the next 4 days after the start were forced rest days as I had a cold and flu and so just rested. On Saturday ,having returned to Perth , I did my first long run at Kalamuunda , was a 2hour run but I got lost and ended up with 2.40 in very hot conditions but covering just 13km and 500m in elevation . On Sunday an easy 7km run with a further 1km on grass barefoot.So the first week was a rather short training week of less than 30km of running .

The second week was looking more positive as I still got over the cold

Monday 14 January 2019 , 1.5hr at Jacobs ladder with a 15 minute warm up then 10 repeats of Jacobs Ladder then I ran to Kokoda and back for a cool down . Finished with 7km and about 500m of  elevation .

Tuesday 15 January 2019 , was a rest day but I rode on my wind trainer for 45 minutes and 21kms .

Wednesday 16 January 2019 , easy run of 5km and then easy wind trainer spin of 30 mins or 13km .

Thursday 17 January 2019 , 11.5 km with 30 minutes at marathon pace but felt lethargic and managed an average 5.45 pace for the 65 minutes.

Friday 18 January 2019 , an easy 5km and then 45 minutes easy spin for just under 20 km .

Saturday 19 January 2019 , first long run at King's Park alone. Started just before 6am because the temperature was going to hit 40C . Ran round the Park and then did 10 repeats of Kokoda at about 45 m and then 10 repeats at DNA and ran a few more kilometers to finish with 15 kms in 2.45hr.I was meant to do a cross fit session in the afternoon but I was pretty tired and slept through so missed the session.

Sunday 20 January 2019 , an easy  7km run followed by 2 km on the beach barefoot with the dog.

total for the week 52km of running , 55 km of cycling , 9.5 hours and 1332 m of elevation.








2nd week of UTA Training

No comments:

Post a Comment