Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Week 1 Ironman Training Begins

Starting the journey Zamia Trails with Molly


The 2 weeks of recovery after UTA 100 is over and Ironman Hawaii training begins with the start of winter .

I have decided to write my own programme and there isn't much that can change with a fairly typical Ironman programme and with a few basic rules I hope I can follow . Mainly don't overdo the training and focus on the basics , a little more speed work and back to swimming . How difficult can it be ...not very accept that it is a long 4 months and the weather and motivation will be the main issues .Before the start of training properly I did venture to the Hilary's Marina for a swim on Saturday. It was a very short and very cold swim without a wet suit.Unfortunately since then I have not swum in the ocean with 2 deaths from sharks in the past few weeks and a definite sense that until the weather warms up a bit I will keep to the pool.

First week starting 30 May 2016 was an easy swim in the pool with 2kms and 400 easy warm up with Pull buoy then 400m or 4 x100 with paddles and PB and followed by 40 x 25 m with the first 20 with 1 hard and 3 easy and then next 20 with 2 hard and 2 easy and finishing with a 200m cool down.

Tuesday .I had my first ride with Exceed in a long while . Mainly the group training for the Worlds and ITU events in September. The session was big chain ring low cadence and just building strength .It was a river loop with Shelley. I felt really good and rode my Cannondale Aluminum bike  whilst everyone was on their TTs .I kept up with the back group of girls and caught the middle batch after 25kms and then rode to Mount Henry whilst they all headed back to the city . I rode alone through Shelley and back to the city .Unfortunately traffic got heavy by 7am so wasn't a good idea. Rode about 60km in just over 2 hours.

Tuesday evening did a weights session at Cross fit for about 30minutes.

Wednesday just an easy 5km run .

Thursday. I managed my Road trainer ergo session doing a 20 minute Threshold test with warm ups and cool downs .It was pretty hard but at least had my maximum FTP at 212 watts , lower than last year but something to work on. I did a workout earlier on my own for 50 minutes with 5 strength exercises and 500m runs on the treadmill.

Friday . A short 50 minute easy run and a swim in the evening with a 2.7km swim with the Pull buoy.

Saturday . I skipped the ride with the group and opted for a Road Trainer session of 2 hours and running of the bike with Molly for 5kms. The session was hard with an average 141watts for the 2 hours and the legs were pretty tired .In the afternoon at cross fit it was an aerobic session of boxing for 45minutes

Sunday . A bike session of just over an hour and 22km doing hill repeats at Ewen Street , a 5km circuit with a climb both ways . I was going to swim and run in the evening but opted for a rest .

The first week :

Bike : 6.5hrs and about 170kms
Run: 20kms about 2 hrs
swim ; 4.7km or 2 hours
cross fit : 1.5 hrs
Total: 12 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment